devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Authentication with e-mail address

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Dick Visser <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Authentication with e-mail address
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:18:39 +0200

Dick Visser wrote:

Hi list

I have a question: which address does sympa use when authentication by e-mail address?
The From: address in the headers of the e-mail?

The From: header is used. We should say for "identification" not for "authentification" because it's really not a secure information and the listmaster can decide to use authorization scenario that always require a stronger authentication.

Or the Envelope-From address?

And what if they both exist and are different?

The envelope-From is ignored, unless the Return-path header is tested in scenario (usually not used).

Serge Aumont