devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Trying to warn sender of bounced messages

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Sylvain Amrani <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Trying to warn sender of bounced messages
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:41:03 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

Sylvain Amrani wrote:
For lists from a particular family, I need to warn senders when a bounce
occurs.

Anyone worked on this before ?
We were requested this feature in the past but it was not coded.
Currently the only use for bounces in Sympa is to maintain a bounce score and trigger unsubscription of list members that have a high score.
My first idea was to use MIME::Tools to recursively parse MIME::Entities in
the bounce, to find the original message and get its From: (and/or to add a
custom X-Sympa-Sender to messages of this family).

Unfortunately, looking at the bounce in the spool, I see that the original List-Help,
List-Subscribe and List-Unsubscribe in the message attached to the bounce are set to
"sympa@fqdn" !!! Is that the correct behavior ? If so I've no way to be sure
I get the correct attachment.

I didn't find in the source where List-* headers are changed in attachments.

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated !
If you wish to keep track of the user associated to each bounce, then you should activate VERP in Sympa. VERP stands for "Variable Envelop Return Path" and consists in setting a more significant return-path for each message. It implies that you give up Sympa bulk-emailer. Here is the related documentation : http://www.sympa.org/doc/html/node24.html#SECTION002410000000000000000

Then you'll have to patch bounced.pl to notify the message authors about bounces.
The problem is that the unique return-path that Sympa uses does not include the ID of the message, just the listname and the receipient email address. Here is what the return-path looks like : address@concealed

We'd like to include this feature in Sympa. Therefore please contact us for its design and submit the patch later.

Thanks.