devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Proposal: Milter-Interface for sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Proposal: Milter-Interface for sympa
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:25:25 +0200

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:.

I'm still running listserv, which is a terrible source of such
misdirected bounces. Using Sympa (I expect so move from "testing" to
"production" soon) would already reduce the number of misdirected
bounces, due to the fine-grained scenarii.

Right

However, I'd like to have an even better solution and reject e-mails
during the smtp-transaction, whenever possible.

I agree

After finally having a look at the documentation of Sendmail::Milter and
the sourcecode of sympa, this seems to be quite easy.

I just need to register one callback with Sendmail::Milter which is to
be invoiced after the message has been received. That callback would
save the message to disk and perform quite literally what DoFile and
DoMessage perform right now, but instead of actually processing the
message it should just return what action is to be processed.

We agree on the goal to reduce bounces and prefer SMTP code error during the session. However we don't think that Sympa have to deal with this. Some milter allready exist in order to test if some receipient exists or not. j-chkmail, milter-ahead at least provide this service. The only configuration where this could prevent a bounce should be if the mail is adressed to an existing list hidden to the message sender via a visibility scenario. It introduce too much complexity in Sympa for this objective. If you provide a contrib we do not garanty that we will introduce it into Sympa "official" version because code managment is an important issue.

Serge