devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Virtual domain question

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Dick Visser <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Virtual domain question
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:39:30 +0100

Hi Dick,

Dick Visser wrote:

Today I installed 5.2b1 on a test server, using Debian/3.1 with Postfix and PostgreSQL-8.1.3.

It seems that because this virtual domain stuff is relatively new, and therefore the docs are not yet updated (right?). So I am a bit confused how to configure virtual domains with 5.2 ;-)

Did you read this section of the documentation : http://www.sympa.org/doc/html/node15.html
If you feel some informations are missing, please let us know...

Some (theoretical) questions I have:

- The 'way-to-go' with postfix is to have one "main emaildomain" and then have multiple other so-called virtual domains? (This is now already the way our postfix/majordomo works).

- From the *current* docs it looks like I will have to configure A records for each domain pointing to the same resource as the MX records in order for the web interface to work.
Is this really necessary? Isn't it possible to just have one URI to reach the interface, and configure all lists in all (virtual) domains there?

- What is the correct way of setting-up virtual hosts with 5.2 in combination with postfix-2.1.5?

Because there are many ways to do the MTA setup, we only provide some basic information about this in the reference manual. But you can find further information in our FAQ including this Postfix howto : http://www.sympa.org/fom-serve/cache/266.html

- Since postfix can use a DB backend for its alias and virtual files, would it be an idea to have Sympa use that as well for managing them?

Sympa uses an independent script to manage aliases. This script can be customized and actually there is an LDAP-enabled version : http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/src/etc/script/ldap_alias_manager.pl?rev=1.1&view=markup

If you write an sql_alias_manager.pl, please let us know.

I already got the non-virtual part working and so far it looks very good. The automagic addition/deletion of the alias spaghetti is really nice ;)

BTW. It seems that two of the Sympa authors (Serge and Oliver) did a presentation on our yearly Conference in 2004:
http://www.terena.nl/events/archive/tnc2004/programme/presentations/show.php?pres_id=78

Yes we are part of the High Education family and we participate to Terena conferences and working groups. I thought you were aware of that =-O
BTW : we consider proposing a poster for the next Terena conference, focusing on some aspects of Sympa.