devel - [sympa-dev] Configurable Loop Prevention Patch

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Configurable Loop Prevention Patch
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:32:31 -0500

Folks,

As I talked about a couple of weeks ago, we plan on using Sympa for the distributing of messages to admins from several automated systems, some of which appropriately report themselves as being from mailer-daemon@host-in-question. This was causing problems as Sympa filters several such addresses and drops the messages. While I like this behavior for most of our lists -- it prevents the owners from seeing alarming messages they don't understand and whining at us about them -- this simply wouldn't work for our "system contact address" lists as we don't want any mail to be rejected or dropped on the off chance that it may be useful.

I brought this up a little while back and Serge (I believe it was) said that pulling the regex into a configuration value would be fine, so I've worked up a patch to do just that; it's attached. I tested it and it applies cleanly to the latest CVS update. Please let me know if you need me to do anything like file it in the bug tracker or whatnot.

This patch adds an additional value added to sympa.conf: loop_prevention_regex. It defaults to the old value of:

^(mailer-daemon|sympa|listserv|majordomo|smartlist|mailman| $conf_email)(\@|$)

Variables in there will be expanded provided they're available at the time the regex is examined, which I believe may be limited to $conf_email and $conf_host. Messages from addresses matching this regex will be dropped. The default behavior shouldn't change anything for existing sites, and I'm hoping that this will make it into 5.2. To accomplish our goal of having most lists not get messages from these addresses but still allowing some to do so, we've set our loop_prevention_regex value to "" and are doing the following in most lists' send scenarios:

match([sender], /^(mailer-daemon|listserv|majordomo|smartlist| mailman|[conf->email])(\@|$)/) smtp,smime,md5 -> reject,quiet

On the lists where we want to receive those messages then we simply use a scenario which doesn't include that directive.

Please let me know what you think, or if anyone needs anything else from me on this.

Thanks,
Jeff