devel - Re: [sympa-dev] private RSS feeds

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: John-Paul Robinson <address@concealed>
  • To: Serge <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>, <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] private RSS feeds
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:04:40 -0600 (CST)

How do RSS feeds deal with HTTP authentication? If a URL for a feed is
protected by this is there a prescribed behavior? More specifically, how
does an RSS reader deal with redirection, if it occurs?

If RSS is really cookie-less then the above won't work, so what about a
session number in the feed? Sessions could time-out so potential exposure
can be controlled but how does RSS deal with things like login to even
handle a session URL?

Here are a couple of URLs about private rss feeds:

Older discussion:

http://labs.silverorange.com/archives/2003/july/privaterss

How Radio UserLand does them

http://radio.userland.com/stories/storyReader$7001

I'm not finding any clear statements on how this should be handled. If
there is to be passwords/sessionids in URLs they really need to be
short-lived in order to keep things private. This has complexities of
it's own.

Another option might be to use SSL-based authentication... while that
would probably work (given an RSS client supports it), it would have it's
one set of deployment issues.

~jpr