devel - [sympa-dev] private RSS feeds

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] private RSS feeds
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:49:59 -0800

The new features in 5.2, especially the intelligent VERP implementation, look *great*. So of course I have to bring up another big one:

Sympa list archive RSS feeds are currently accessible only for publicly visible archives, and there is a fundamental reason: RSS readers can login using HTTP authentication, but not with cookies, and Sympa relies on login cookies. Yes? So the only way to allow access to protected RSS feeds would be to totally change the way Sympa handles logins?

I ask because the RSS feed feature is also a great one, but it's almost entirely useless for most of the people that want to use it, because what they want is to see the latest postings on private lists. I don't expect a solution to this problem anytime soon, but I thought I'd mention that without it, the RSS feature is mostly a dead end for our users -- and more and more of them are looking for it.

ab