devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 5.2b

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 5.2b
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:52:38 +0100

Jeff Abbott wrote:

On Feb 28, 2006, at 12:05 PM, address@concealed wrote:

Here it 5.2b

Yay! I do have some questions though:

VERP (Variable Envelop Return Path) for bounce management

How configurable is this? One of my concerns is that we've got lots of large lists, and suffering the performance hit of having to send out 4000 separate messages rather than being able to group them together into, say, 100 batches of 40 as it could without VERP. I'd love for it to be able to, for instance, only VERP one out of every ten messages, or only VERP REMIND messages.

For each message VERP is actived for a percentage of subscribers (rate controlled by list parameter from 0% to 100%). After a few message distributed, every subscriber as received a “VERPed” message so bounced management demon can construct a table to identify subscriber email by bounced. If a subscriber as generated a bounced that is recognized only using VERP, later message distribution always use VERP for this subscriber so we have 100% of the benefit of VERP but of a part of the bandwidth over cost. In order to minimize the average distribution delay per subscriber, the distribution start by subscribers were VERP is not actived.
Remind and welcome message can use a special VERP where the subscriber is removed as soon as 1 bounce is received. This is an old feature of Sympa unchanged in this version.

See "admin > edit list config > bounces" in the list administration web interface.

Message topics : list messages can be tagged with topics. List owner defines a set of topics for the list. List members can select topics and only receive related messages. See documentation for more info.

This is very cool, and is one of the features of Mailman that we were interested in. I'll be sure to give this some testing if I can.

You are welcome. This part was not tested on our production server with real users. Usability is the major issue for that so you will probably have some proposition about it.
Serge