devel - Re: [sympa-dev] VERP works

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] VERP works
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:02:51 +0000

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Jeff Abbott <address@concealed> wrote
Also, keep in mind that this means Postfix will now make a separate SMTP
connection for each recipient, instead of batching them as determined by
Sympa's nrcpt parameter and Postfix's
default_destination_recipient_limit parameter. So delivery takes longer
-- on our system, with nrcpt=25 and Postfix at its default, VERPed
delivery takes about 3 times longer than before. This is significant
for lists of 10k or 50k subscribers (of which we have a few), but
overall it's quite acceptable.

This would also be a problem for us, too, with some of our larger lists.

What would be ideal, and would be something I'd be willing to pitch in towards, is a "use_verp" per-list setting, with a site- or robot- level default.

Another possibility that occurs to me is a sort of hybrid 'use VERP for every nth message'. You get the efficiencies of not using VERP for most messages, but every so often clean the list up with a VERP message. Of course, you can get most of the way here already by using periodic reminders with unique return addresses. The principle advantage would be that you wouldn't need a completely separate message to do the cleaning. Another issue I have with the reminder system, though, is its all or nothing approach. Bounce and your gone, irrespective of whether it's a one off or a pattern, a 4xx or a 5xx.
--
Chris Hastie