devel - Re: [sympa-dev] VERP works

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] VERP works
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:17:50 -0500

On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Adam Bernstein wrote:

I've successfully gotten VERP working with Sympa 5.1 and Postfix 2.0.18,
although what I mean by "gotten it working" might not quite be what
you'd think.

This is still quite intriguing for me, nonetheless.

I haven't yet done anything to bounced.pl to get it to
parse out the VERPed return-path for automated bounce processing, which
should just be a small bit of straightforward programming, but that
wasn't our primary need.

Unfortunately it /is/ our primary need from VERP. The problem we run into a lot is that people will subscribe their address@concealed alias to a list, which forwards to their address@concealed address internally. This then forwards to some arbitrary address, set through a web interface we've got, that the user picked. Often it's a hotmail.com or aol.com address, but just as often it's something completely random. Because we're using Majordomo, bounce reports get sent to the list owner. If they're not immediately terrified of the "technical junk" that they see in such a message, they'll usually try to figure out what address bounced and unsubscribe it from the list. Needless to say, this does not work as the address is not subscribed to the list. They then come to me and I have to dig through several thousand sieve scripts that users have installed to see if I can find the address. If I can't, which has happened a couple of times as the user was forwarding their off-site address to yet another address, then there's really nothing we can do.

I probably end up sorting through about 5-8 such "I'm having problems unsubscribing this bouncing user" a week. So, VERP is something we're quite interested in.

If someone else wants to add the few lines
of code in bounced.pl that will read the subscribed address from the
headers instead of trying to parse it out of the message body of a
bounce, to eliminate all the "Subscriber <> not found in list <>" errors
and process all bounces successfully, we'd be happy not to do it
ourselves.

If no one's been able to get to this in a couple of months, once we've gotten Sympa deployed here, then I'll be more than happy to look at it or add some additional hand/eye/brain power to the problem.

Also, keep in mind that this means Postfix will now make a separate SMTP
connection for each recipient, instead of batching them as determined by
Sympa's nrcpt parameter and Postfix's
default_destination_recipient_limit parameter. So delivery takes longer
-- on our system, with nrcpt=25 and Postfix at its default, VERPed
delivery takes about 3 times longer than before. This is significant
for lists of 10k or 50k subscribers (of which we have a few), but
overall it's quite acceptable.

This would also be a problem for us, too, with some of our larger lists.

What would be ideal, and would be something I'd be willing to pitch in towards, is a "use_verp" per-list setting, with a site- or robot- level default. This way we could set the default to "true" for the majority of our lists, and the small number of Big Ones we've got could have that setting disabled for performance reasons. This, of course, makes the problem a much bigger one to solve, requiring changes at many levels of the software, but I think it would be worth the effort. The question then is: Is this even feasible?

Thanks a bunch for doing the early legwork on this, Adam!

Jeff