devel - [sympa-dev] en_US Translation and Templates

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] en_US Translation and Templates
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:50:47 -0500

Folks,

One thing I've noticed as I've been going through and creating/ updating the web templates to make it look better and better fit our environment is that the English used in the templates and the message catalogs is not the best. Absolutely no offense is intended by this, and considering the international influence in Sympa's creation it's not surprising.

What I've been doing here in our templates is simply removing the calls to [%|loc%] and putting in the strings I want, as-is. So we're not doing any internationalization here, yet. That being said, in the future we do want to be able to offer the interface in different languages (especially for the language studies department), so this is counter-productive for the long-term.

I'm wondering if there's anyone currently working on cleaning up the en_US translation in Rosetta. If not, in a couple of months I hope to have some free time and a smoothly running Sympa installation, so I could jump in and start cleaning that up.

I'd also be interested in possibly re-working the templates so they're valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional content. Would there be interest in this?

Thanks,
Jeff

  • [sympa-dev] en_US Translation and Templates, Jeff Abbott, 11/30/2005