devel - [sympa-dev] forcing automatic login for authorized action using generic_sso

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: John-Paul Robinson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] forcing automatic login for authorized action using generic_sso
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:48:28 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to figure out how to force an unauthenticated user to
authenticate via generic_sso when they attempt to perform an action that
requires authorization. After the user is authenticated, i'd like to also
have them return to the original request that triggered authn/z.

As an example, I've set up a command front end for myVocs
(http://myvocs.org). One of the commands the I want a user to be able to
execute is "join <mailinglist/vo>". This command directs their browser to
the "subscribe" action for the specificed mailing list.

This works correctly if the user is already logged into Sympa. It doesn't
work as intended when the user is not yet logged in though. When the user
is not yet logged in, they are promted for their email address. I agree
that this is the expected behavior for a public email list.

I've tried to change "Who can subcribe to the list" setting to "need
authentication..." from the default "anyone, no auth", but this doesn't
seem to change the behavior of prompting for the email address. I'm
expecting the user to be routed through the identity provider instead.

Do you have any thoughts on how best to approach this problem?

Thanks,

~jpr

  • [sympa-dev] forcing automatic login for authorized action using generic_sso, John-Paul Robinson, 08/18/2005