devel - Re: [sympa-dev] RE: address transformations

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Paul Haldane <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] RE: address transformations
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:40:52 +0200

Hi Paul,

Dont' worry, we're not offended at all.
We are aware that our English is too basic to be accepted by most native English people.

We requested some help on this topic from our Internet2 collegue during their Fall meeting but no volonteer yet. So if you manage to make Sympa's English more acceptable, we'd be more than happy :)

All you have to do is generate a us.po (or en.po if you prefer) and then edit the translations. As a start, this method has the advantage of keeping other translations uptodate. The other, more radical method, would be to change the strings in templates, thus making corresponding translations 'fuzzy'.
For more information on the translation process : http://www.sympa.org/howtotranslate.html

If anything goes wrong, let us know...

Paul Haldane wrote:

[...]

sympa-4_1-branch is still using the old template system, yes? One of the
important things to us is tweaking the interface to match our main site and I'd
rather do this work on the new system. There's also some work needed on the
English message translations - they're OK but (not wanting to offend anyone
:->) obviously not written by a native English speaker. I can put some
effort towards this but again it would seem to make sense to work on the new
structure.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités