devel - Re: [sympa-dev] wwsympa configuration

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] wwsympa configuration
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:21:40 +0100

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:
Guillaume Rousse a écrit :

I am new maintainer for mandrake sympa package, and I have a slight problem with wwsympa configuration.
[...]
You seem to mingle to distinct directories : for both bounces and archives, there is a incoming spool AND a directory for storing bounces and archived messages. The first 2 directories are probably what is located in /var/spool/sympa/ ; it seems a perfectly logical choice. Guy Paressant and Gilles Budet who have been working on mandrake packages might confirm.

If I understand correctly, sympa need four directories:
bounces incoming
archive incoming
bounces storage
archive storage

That's it.

The path to storage directories is set through the --prefix option, while the path to the incoming directories is set through the --with-spooldir option.

Default for --prefix is /home/sympa
Default for --spooldir is --prefix + /spool
Default for 'spool' sympa.conf parameter is --spooldir
So what could useful would be a --storagedir option, with --prefix + /whatever as default

and a single 'storage' parameter in wwsympa.conf

The directories names themselves are not configurable through the ./configure script, only by editing the configuration files later.

You're right, only defaults for the root spool directory can be configured via ./configure ; it can be overriden in sympa.conf.

However, it seems to be only three directives available:
queuebounce

This is the path to the "incoming" spool for bounces.

bounce_path

Is the path to the bounce "storage" directory.
(Maybe we should rename it 'bounce_storage')
If you want to make the difference with the other directory, yes. Something as bounce_queue vs bounce_store. And archive_queue vs archive_store.

arc_path

Is the path to store archives

Is the one for incoming bounce directory missing?

No you are missing the spool for messages to be archives named 'outgoing'.
It was named this way because when designing this feature we thought it could be used for any outgoing process
(maybe we should also rename this one)
An outgoing directory is created by installation automatically, but is not present in configuration file. On the opposite, 'queuebounce' is in the configuration file, but not created automatically :-) Maybe the installation should take cares of creating and setting an option for all of these?

The same could be said for storage directories: the installation procedures doesn't take care of creating them automatically. And it is missing a general 'archive' option, the same as 'spool' does for all specific spool directories.

If you're ready to rename those options, i'd suggest to use some hierarchized notation instead of current one, such as 'spool', 'msg_spool', 'bounce_spool', 'outgoing_spool' (or 'archive_spool' if you're only using it for achives). Current one is a bit misleading.

Last question: the configuration files says that sympa creates additional spool directories at runtime, and the fact that /var/spool/sympa was made sympa-user writable seems to prove this statement. However, it seems everything needed (except the previously mentionned exceptions) is created during installation, so is this really true?

--
Investment in reliability will continue until it exceeds the probable cost of errors, or until someone insists on getting some useful work done
-- SNAFU Equations (JB's Scholastic Laws) n°4