devel - Re: [sympa-dev] categorisation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Mark Valiukas <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] categorisation
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:13:20 +1100

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:

[summary topic]

I've just uploaded the patches for this to mantis.

[categorisation topic]

What user interface do you imagine to allow moderators to choose a category ?

Web-based: radio buttons for the category in the approval window,
defaulting to the system's best guess at the category.

email-based: a whole lot of ugly mailto links for "distribute this,
but stick it in such-and-such category".

Maybe if client-side scripting in email wasn't so much like
sharing needles a nice little javascript mailto: generator
would be good. It's a pity it's too dangerous to leave
switched on, as this sort of thing would really benefit
from it.

It's also probably pretty safe to assume that people using
email notifications to moderate messages during the day will
also have a browser on their machine, so a link to the
moderation page for that message would possibly be enough for
some people - the only reason I do it by email is that it is
easier than manually navigating to the moderation section of
the group if I don't already have it open in a window.

How do you imagine message authors would indicate a category in the message subject ?

I was thinking of filtering by particular keywords in the message subject line
<snip>
Then you would define a list of expressions for each category.
This approach is to guess what the message is about, based on the subject ;

That's it. An automatic guess, followed by manual correction
if necessary.

another approach would be to make the author explicitely tell what category the message in related to ; maybe it is too constraining for authors.

We have enough trouble convincing some people that they need
to log in to read their messages when they're off-campus -
getting them to include a "category code" in the subject line
is a battle that we could not win.

--
Mark Valiukas