devel - Sympa not ending some messages with a "." per RFC 2821

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Sympa not ending some messages with a "." per RFC 2821
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:45:08 +0100

I think I have identified (and filed a bug report) on what looks to my like a
pretty major RFC-compliance problem with Sympa. Unfortunately, I'm not
skilled enough to go about fixing it.

Per RFC 2821: "Since the mail data is sent on the transmission channel, the
end of
mail data must be indicated so that the command and reply dialog can
be resumed. SMTP indicates the end of the mail data by sending a
line containing only a "." (period or full stop). A transparency
procedure is used to prevent this from interfering with the user's
text (see section 4.5.2)."

Sympa doesn't seem to properly end multi-part-MIME HTML-formatted messages
that contain embedded images. Thus, some mail servers are starting to bounce
these messages for non-compliance.

Is there anybody out there that can propose a solution?

I'm currently running Sympa 3.4.2.

best,
jon
Jon Stahl, ONE/Northwest
address@concealed

  • Sympa not ending some messages with a "." per RFC 2821, jon, 11/11/2003