devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Capital letters in added user names

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Capital letters in added user names
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:56:56 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Bernstein wrote:

For some reason, if you add a single subscriber like "address@concealed, Full Name" on the Review page, all capital letters are changed to lowercase. But adding a list of subscribers on the Multiple Add page preserves capitals with no trouble.
This has been recently fixed in the development branch :
http://listes.cru.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/sympa/wwsympa/wwsympa.fcgi.diff?r1=1.338&r2=1.339

Also, I've always been confused about the different input processing -- why
do we need a comma separator in the single-add field but a space on the
multiple-add page? I can't see any reason why the code is different.

So I've gotten around it by just changing the name of the input field in the template for single
adds to the same thing as on the multiple add page, from "email" to "dump".
All subscriber adds are now processed the same way, and capital letters are preserved for all.
A one-line template patch is given below, but there's probably a better fix
to this -- Sympa team?

The ability to add multiple email addresses in the "single add" form is not advertised at all ; I can't remember why comma was chosen a s separator but spaces cannot be used instead because email addresses may contain spaces in a quoted local part.

Concerning capital letters in email addresses, Sympa lowercases all incoming email addresses for easier string comparison, including in SQL queries.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites