devel - RE: [sympa-dev] Message-IDs with "$" cause Summary mode links to fail

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-dev] Message-IDs with "$" cause Summary mode links to fail
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:39:48 -0700

After extracting escape_chars() from tools.pl and doing some testing on
it, I've confirmed that it doesn't work on strings with $ in them, because
of the special meaning of $ for Perl. I've been unable to really fix
the escape_chars routine, but have solved the problem manually by
adding two lines to send_msg_digest, just after escape_chars() is called.
(They can't be inside the escape_chars routine, because it seems even passing
the string with $ in it to the subroutine or back out of the subroutine
causes it to break.) They replace "$" with "\$", instead of "%xx" (the hex
code), which I can't get to work. I'm probably being stupid somehow.

Here they are in context:

## Clean up Message-ID
$msg->{'message_id'} =~ s/^\<(.+)\>$/$1/;
$msg->{'message_id'} = &tools::escape_chars($msg->{'message_id'});
#---begin customization:
my $sub = '\$';
$msg->{'message_id'} =~ s/\$/$sub/g;
#---end

I'll add this to the bug report system, but there should probably be a
more elegant solution. Unless the current code does something else to
Message-IDs before they get to List.pm, the current version has this bug.

adam
* Electric Embers: Powering the fires of change *
* Web, Email, List, and Antivirus/Antispam hosting for the community *
* http://electricembers.net Member of http://techunderground.org *