devel - Translating e-mail

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Rafael Cordones Marcos <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Translating e-mail
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:20:04 +0100

Hi folks,

I have been searching the Mailman website and have not found any
reference to what I am looking for, i.e. translating e-mail. I am not
talking about translating the software or documentation (i18n)
but translating the e-mails that people send to a mailing list.

I have look through the Sympa website and found the following:

"Multilingual messages. Binding of language catalogue at run time.
Translated in :

* English
[...]
* French
"

But I think this refers to i18n and not the translation of the
e-mails that are processed by Sympa.

I am looking for the following functionality in a mailing list software:

* As an administrator:

- set up some default machine translation (MT) engine.
For example, I want to use Babelfish for translating between
English and Spanish but I wat to use some other engine for
translating between German and Swedish.

- specify the subject of the mailing list and thus improving the
translation results. For instance, I can specify that the
mailing list is about "Technical -> Operating Systems -> Minix"
(just kidding).

* As a user:

- I want to subscribe to the mailing list and specify my
language (natural) language preferences. Say I want specify
{Catalan, Spanish, German}.

- e-mail going to the list gets sent to a machine translation
before it gets sent to me. I can optionaly say to the
mailing list software that I want to receive also the original
message.

- If I do not like the translation of an e-mail I can choose some
other machine translation engine. I may decide that some other
translation engine does a better job or even pay to get
get better translations. Maybe the administrator forgot to
specify a machine translation engine for Euskera<->Catalan and I
know of one that just started operating.

I would appreciate any information you may have on this topic. Maybe
somebody has started implementing this or is already implemented?
Send me (with a personal CC:) any comments, problems you see on the
aforementioned working schema, flames, ...

Thanks a lot for your time!

Rafa

--
Link of the week:
Der flexible Mensch. Robert Kurtz.

  • Translating e-mail, Rafael Cordones Marcos, 11/06/2002