devel - Re: [sympa-dev] RE: Sympa 3.4 and Sympa 4.0

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Eric Sandquist <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] RE: Sympa 3.4 and Sympa 4.0
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:34:50 +0200

Eric Sandquist wrote: (Please use sympa-dev not sympa-users for this thread)

what about customized footers and/or headers per user per list for emails
sent?

The following feature I mentionned "Allow to parse message as template for each subscriber" include parsing of header/footer using subscriber information.

Jérôme Marrant wrote:

>OK, let's start with my first wish:
>
>Complete separation between the mailing list manager and
>its interface.
>It means that anyone should be able to roll its own
>interface for user and admin management of the list
>(could be textual interface, web interface, whatever).
>
>It could be possible to run Sympa on a given machine,
>and its (web) interface on a different machine: currently
>you must have the web server on the same machine as the
>mailing list manager since wwsympa.cgi needs to access
>sympa configuration files.
>
>So WWSympa should be totally separated from Sympa,
>modularity is the key. This means that Sympa would
>have to stay away from wwsympa.conf and the latter
>file must not be merged into sympa.conf.

Sympa.pl and wwsympa.fcgi do not share anly list configuration
file but almost all the list home directory (stats, archives, list
scenario and list templates, ...) and a lot of other file such as spool.

Two direction are possible to make wwsympa.fcgi and sympa.pl running on separate servers :

-one is transparent file system repartition : nfs, san, nas, das, etc
-one is to make Sympa soap server the main application that serve
both sympa.pl and wwsympa.cgi, but this server would be more centralized
then the existing solution.

Anyhow using a single configuration file for both actual wwsympa.conf
and sympa.conf is really not the blocking factor for a complete
modularity.

Serge