devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Calendar?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Mathieu Jan <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Calendar?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:01:38 +0200

Le Vendredi 9 Août 2002 11:52, vous avez écrit :
> > At 11:24 AM -0700 8/8/02, Adam Bernstein wrote:
> >Is anybody working on integrating a group calendar with Sympa? If not,
> >I'm about to tackle the integration of WebCalendar (PHP/MySQL, see
> >http://webcalendar.sourceforge.net/), and could use some help. I have
> >a simple scheme in mind that basically requires little more than creating
> >a cookie for WebCalendar from within Sympa, but there's a more complicated
> >scheme that would be much smarter and would require more extensive
> >modification of the WebCalendar code, I think.
>
> Depending on whether or not you are interested in using Perl, there
> is the module HTML::CalendarMonthSimple which I use a lot, and is
> fairly easy to get dates into. It might be easier to integrate perl
> code into sympa, although your cookie idea sounds interesting.
>
> I've been pondering re-writing this module because it is very simple
> - almost too simple. And, mostly needs a nice graphic touch up, and
> the ability to be stylesheeted.

Hello,

It sounds to be a interesting idea. I just want to add some points to
your
discussion : I'm currently working on adding the support of SOAP in Sympa
(done but not yet in the CVS) (I'm working as a trainee for the CRU with the
authors of Sympa). Our goals is to made the integration of software with
Sympa easier (by the way also integrating Sympa to other software), so may be
it would be useful for you to use SOAP. We use Soaplite
(http://www.soaplite.com), a perl module. The main advantage to use SOAP is
that it's independant from the language used, the platorm used ...
Implementations for PHP of SOAP exists (check soaplite.com). Moreover you
don't have to hack and modify a software (modifications that may be won't be
accept by the developers of the sofware), here you can make it as an option
of the WebCalendar (enabling hime to talk to software having SOAP support).
Well it's the way it will be done when we will integrate a survey module in
Sympa (using a existing perl module, but modify it to have a SOAP option).
Basically the idea is : there is a SOAP daemon (written) who listen to
requests made to him and makes the call to the proper function of Sympa (some
have been written). For instance, you want to know if Bob is a subscriber of
the list Test : you only have to write a Perl module to make the correct call
to Sympa and return the value. That's for the server side. Now for the client
side, you only have to connect to the SOAP daemon (one line) and make the
correct call (one line too). We will use SOAP to integrate a survey module
into Sympa (to check who has the rights to create a survey, answer it and so
on ...), so for a WebCalendar it's seems to be the same thing (tell me if I'm
wrong).
I hope it will be useful for you : I will put today the SOAP daemon
and
client in the contrib directory of the web hierarchy
(http://www.sympa.org/distribution/contrib/sympasoap/). You will need to
install Soaplite module.

Mathieu

  • Re: [sympa-dev] Calendar?, Mathieu Jan, 08/09/2002