devel - Re: [sympa-dev] bug fix: stats file not updated in several cases

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] bug fix: stats file not updated in several cases
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:49:39 +0200

Hi Sergiy,

Sorry for responding so late....

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

> After I've upgraded sympa to 3.3.5 I've noticed that stats file is not
> updated properly in several cases.
> When you create a new list using web interface and try adding users, sympa
> will add users to the database, but won't update the stats file, so it shows
> 0 subscribers on the list.

I don't notice this problem on our server ; this should work fine.
Does anybody else has the same problem ?

> When you try to re-add the same users, it says that those users are already
> on the list and it still won't update the stats file.

Can you try this with sympa in debug mode ?

> Another case is when you add users using an external utility, which only
> updates the database (remotely), but doesn't touch any config files.

Is there a reason why you don't use 'include' user_data_source (instead of
'database') ?

> I think I've fixed that (patch is attached with this message) by reversing
> one of changes you've made and adding a couple of lines.
> Could you please apply that patch ?
> I think that being able to update database remotely w/o touching sympa
> config files is a great feature and it should work like it was before 3.3.5.

We changed this behavior (ie: query database for total if there are 0
subscribers) to have better performances ; we don't wish to go back to
previous
performances.

Moreover querying the database for total when total is 0 might not be enough
in your situation ; I guess you don't want to cache it at all.
Most people rather await performances ; I'd rather see this as a sympa.conf
parameter (cache_total_subscribers).

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités