devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Proposal
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:35:40 +0100

Hi Petr,

Using a dedicated table is not a good idea to my mind because :

* it will have a big impact on the actual code
(get_which(), ...)
* you will need to create another TABLE for each
big lists you need
* Sympa will still perform SELECT with a WHERE clause
on the dedicated table (select a subscriber, bounces,
...)

I'd rather suggest you optimize your database/table structure.
I can think about a few things, other sympa-users might have
other «tricks» :
* Idexes : the subscriber_table already has an index
on 'list_subscriber, user_subscriber'
* Table format : recent versions of MySQL use a more
efficient table format (MYISAM). You should convert
your tables to this format using mysql_convert_table_format.
'isamchk' utility could also reorganize your data in table
* Changing 'list_subscriber' from VARCHAR to CHAR should
fasten queries.
* check /usr/share/mysql/my-huge.cnf sample config
It has huge buffers and caches

Hope it helps...

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités

  • Proposal, Petr Prazak, 11/27/2001
    • Re: [sympa-dev] Proposal, Olivier Salaun, 11/27/2001