devel - Proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Proposal
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:51:52 +0100

Hello,

I'd like to propose an optimalization to Sympa.

I'd would be good to allow a list to contain its subscribers in a
separate table rather than to contain all subscribers in one table.

For very large lists, there a difference in accessing a table with or
without "where" clause.

I've got several list that are small, and one very large list.

For example:

mysql> select count(*) from subscriber_table;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 789468 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from subscriber_table where
list_subscriber='large_list';
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 782848 |
1 row in set (52.43 sec)

You can see, that offloading this huge list to the separate table would
help a performance.

Or do you think using a different DB would help ?

What is your opinion ?

--
Petr Prazak
GRISOFT(c) SOFTWARE