devel - Performance issues in 3.1B.12

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Cris Rhea <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Cc: "Rhea, Cristopher J." <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Performance issues in 3.1B.12
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:34:55 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running Sympa 3.1b.12 under RedHat Linux 7.1....

We implemented Sympa because of the great in formation on handling large
lists (we have used Majordomo previously).

One of the things we're seeing is that Sympa will spawn a large number
of sendmail processes. After a period, most of them will be defunct
with only a couple running. This cycle repeats.

Why does Sympa keep the defunct processes around rather than letting them
exit and starting up a new sendmail? How can I better tune Sympa for
large list (our list is 140,000+ people) delivery?

Thanks-

--- Cris

----
Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
address@concealed Rochester, MN 55905
Fax: (507) 266-4486 (507) 284-0587