devel - RE: [sympa-dev] Encrypted password

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Nicolas Brouard" <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-dev] Encrypted password
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:34:37 +0100

I got Serge Aumont on the phone and we agreed with the actual problem of
sympa. I also better understand his position even if I am not well aware of
the last cipher algorithms as he is.

To resume, he considers that there is a security hole when someone clicks on
a form to send a new password; because the cgi-bin line can be snooped (or
sniffed?) and written in the httpd log or elsewhere. This is a general
security problem. At least well known. Https solves this but is more
difficult to implement.

His actual reversible encryption proposition is to send back to the
subscriber, by mail, his or her original password. I am confident that the
manager will not add some code to log the password (so the problem is not
there). But I wonder if receiving a permanent password by mail is a good
solution. I am used to receive temporary passwords by mail and to change
them right away. Mails are stored on different places, more or less secure,
and I don't want that my usual password will be on any mail. So I will not
trust sympa and will enter a ridiculous password that I will forget very
soon, etc.
If I know that my password will be encrypted and can't be reverse, I will
trust sympa more.

Isn't it true?

Nicolas