devel - RE: [sympa-dev] Encrypted password

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Nicolas Brouard" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-dev] Encrypted password
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:23:57 +0100

Hi,

I apologize for my first mail, which was in French. The English
documentation that came with sympa looked so French...

My concern is to avoid non encrypted passwords, not for "security reasons"
as said in your "To do list":

"Password are currently NOT crypted in the database. Considering that most
people use a single password for almost any usage, this is a security
problem. It could be crypted with a reversible algorithm, thus allowing
password reminding. "

but because I don't trust the local list manager. I have managed many
mailing lists and I don't want to be able to read passwords from
subscribers. It is unethical. I am not afraid by hackers, sorry.

Therefore the solution is probably as I explained in my previous French
message to send a message to the subscriber who asks for a forgotten
password. Usually he will ask by clicking on a link from the mailing list
web site. This link again will (1) ask for the personal email address and
(2) send a message to the email address of the subscribers.

This message will contain another link, to a quite long, unique, personal
and temporary cgi-bin which gives access to a temporary web page. This web
page outputs the name and email-address of the subscriber (who has forgotten
his password, ok) and asks him to enter and confirm a new password. The
password is then encrypted and stored in the database.

I have seen such (or similar) operational process among web mailing lists
for children where security concerns are more important than among adults
(paedophilia for example).

What do you think of that?

Nicolas Brouard
Insitut national d'études démographiques
Paris