devel - Re: [sympa-dev] wwsympa smtp check patch

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] wwsympa smtp check patch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:50:19 -0800 (PST)

hi

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Aumont wrote:

> - could you patch also doc/sympa.tex in order to add somem documentation
> about this new parameter ?

sure

> - net::SMTP become a new optional CPAN module, so there is some work arround

It's a part of libnet, so you might wanna check whether it's installed or
not.
I'm not really comfortable with all that installation stuff, really ;)
btw, when I've upgraded from v. 2.7.2 to v3.x, some files were not
overwritten.
I had to remove the whole /home/sympa/bin directory and do "make install"
again.
I'm not really sure what the problem was, but if it happens again, I'll look
at it more specifically.

> - this patch seems OK if Sympa manage only on domaine. If the list parameter
> "host" is used, the host to check may depend on the domain where the list
> must be installed.

well, if you manage several domains on the same smtp server (virtual tables
or sendmail's Cw class), then "host" is meaningful, but if smtp servers are
different, then you'll need to check a separate smtp server for each domain
you serve and it gets messy...
I'll add host part to the patch anyway as it at least covers the case
with virtual tables.

> a new parameter in wwsympa.conf : alias_creation and alias_deletion which
> are the path of a script who create and install all aliases requiered
> when called with a list adress (ie <listname>@<host> ). We will distribute
> our own alias management script as a contrib, not as part of sympa.

What would be very nice is if there could be a convenient way to get a list
of active sympa mail lists to generate the aliases file.
Currently, you can scan lists directory in /home/sympa/expl, but you should
also look at config file to check the status.
It's more or less OK, but since you're already using a database engine as a
backend, it would make sense to keep that data in the database, so you could
query the database from your mail server to get the aliases list as well as
from localhost.

Another feature request:
Some people would want to keep their passwords secret, i.e. not to keep
their clear text passwords anywhere.
Say, you have a password database already for accessing your corporate
website or whatever and don't want to use a separate password for mail lists.
They are crypted passwords (with standard system crypt()) and can be easely
checked from sympa (return OK if crypt($clear_text,$encrypted) eq
$encrypted).
The only thing it breaks is password reminders, but I don't think password
reminders is such a good thing, especially for corporate lists.
So, it would be nice to have an option which allows you to disable password
reminders and the use of clear text passwords.
I can implement that, but I'd like to hear from you all before I do that.
There's also an alternative, e.g. I could add another field to user's table,
smth like "encrypted_password" and depending on some config option, check it
first etc etc...

thanks

--
rgds,