devel - Re: [sympa-dev] (first) bug report for 3.0a and other

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Gianluca Pasqualini <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] (first) bug report for 3.0a and other
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 15:56:37 +0100

Aumont wrote:

> > I've made a little script for insert, show and remove automatically list
> > aliases in /etc/aliases.
> > If you are still not implementing that feauture inside sympa/wwsympa 3.0
> > I'd like to contribute with this, but I need your developing guidelines
> > before to modify wwsympa sources (script should run with SUID root).
> > At the moment I've still not studied wwsympa source modifications.
>
> That's interesting. There is at leat 3 problems
> -1- SUID root which is a real security question.
> -2- Aliases files location. /etc/aliases is not the only possible
> path for alias file. From my opinion, Sympa configuration about sendmail
> should not contain anything else sendmail path.
> -3- Remove aliases is important also

I know, infact I consider that script a workaround only (I use it with
root user).
May be a SUID wrapper written in C could solve the problem.
On the other way, the script could be configured fo paths at install
time (with makefile), so no other user configuration parameters are
needed for sympa.

> "Developing guidelines" : no official guidelines. Please submit your script
> as is. We will check it and send you suggestion about it's integration in
> sympa.

You can find the script attached to this message.

Gianluca Pasqualini
Collaboratore presso SID e-mail: address@concealed
Dipartimento di Informatica phone : +39 041 2908432

Universita' Ca' Foscari - Venezia fax : +39 041 2908419
Via Torino 155 - 30172 Mestre (VE) cell : +39 0347 7252301