devel - Re: [sympa-dev] (first) bug report for 3.0a and other

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] (first) bug report for 3.0a and other
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:48:49 +0100

Gianluca Pasqualini wrote:

> The httpd daemon works with 'apache' user so i set the SUID for
> wwsympa.fcgi bit to see if it starts to work properly.
>
> To the new try, the server answer with:
>
> Internal Server Error

> unable to complete your request.

The problem occurs when wwsympa try to sendto listmaster a creation request
message. That's a Perl trouble coming from SUID bit. Teh solution is to run
perl with the -U option (add it in wwsympa first line) to allow perl
to unsafe operations.

> I've made a little script for insert, show and remove automatically list
> aliases in /etc/aliases.
> If you are still not implementing that feauture inside sympa/wwsympa 3.0
> I'd like to contribute with this, but I need your developing guidelines
> before to modify wwsympa sources (script should run with SUID root).
> At the moment I've still not studied wwsympa source modifications.

That's interesting. There is at leat 3 problems
-1- SUID root which is a real security question.
-2- Aliases files location. /etc/aliases is not the only possible
path for alias file. From my opinion, Sympa configuration about sendmail
should not contain anything else sendmail path.
-3- Remove aliases is important also

Some has install a specific sendmail or postfix configuration in order
to pipe all incomming messages to the queue program without aliases. Nice
solution that require a dedicated domain for lists and some patch in sympa
itself because sympa must answer "user unknown" in some case.

"Developing guidelines" : no official guidelines. Please submit your script
as is. We will check it and send you suggestion about it's integration in
sympa.

> Also, I'm interested in Italian translation.
Your are welcome ! V3.0 templates are now quite stable.

Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex +33 2 998 471 47