devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 2.7.3: Digest not working with SQL query

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 2.7.3: Digest not working with SQL query
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:59:23 +0200

Richard Balint wrote:

> I had a problem with our old 2.6.x sympa not digesting to a list where the
> only recipients are in a "include_sql_query"

You can't define reception mode (digest | nomail | summary) on included
subscribers. We plan to do it on next release via the
"default_user_options"
param.

> So, on a test machine, I finally upgraded to the latest and greatest,
> 2.7.3. :)
>
> Things are a LITTLE better. It will now wait until the digest time and
> then proceed to send each message individually. Blah! The whole point of
> the digest is to make ONE e-mail, right? Not just save all the messages
> for later. ;)

Sorry, I don't understand what the problem is.
When you define a "digest" parameter for a list, users may then set
their
reception mode to "digest", unless they are users are included from an
external data source (which seems to be your situation).
If the list has a "digest" mode, every message is kept in
spool/digest/<listnamse>
file and then sent, as a digest, when time has come.

> At the University of Dayton, we have a few very LARGE lists pulling from a
> SQL query... and sending to 10,000 users, 4-10 times a day is really
> straining our server. Poor little dual PIII box! =grin=

What is your MTA ? Postfix is supposed to be quite good.
Did you tune the maxsmtp, avg and nrcpt params in sympa.conf.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseaux des Universités