en - RE: [en@sympa] Sympa and "DMARC Munging"

  • From: "Widerski, Betty" <address@concealed>
  • To: Stephen Jarjoura <address@concealed>, "Mail administrator, Otto Makela" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [en@sympa] Sympa and "DMARC Munging"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:37:49 +0000

A quick note about Sympa DMARC protection settings and Outlook/Exchange accounts: choosing "DKIM_signature" (or "All" which includes it) in the DMARC Protection modes results in FROM line appearance that alarmed our Security group because the sender Display Name was formatted with quotes around it, which users had been told is a possible sign of phishing, e.g.,

address@concealed on behalf of "Widerski, Betty" <address@concealed>

When I removed DKIM_signature from DMARC protection modes (and left all the other choices except all or none selected) the headers now look like:

address@concealed on behalf of Widerski, Betty  (and hovering over the display name shows my actual email address, not the list's)

Gmail and other external ISPs' email posts didn't have the issue to start, and removing DKIM_signature did not change their behavior.

Betty

Betty Widerski

Cloud & Server Engineering – HBS Information Technology

HARVARD  BUSINESS  SCHOOL

Shad 108 N | address@concealed | T: 617.495.6642