en - RE: [en@sympa] Question re migrating to upgraded server - not upgrade in place

  • From: "McLaren, Terry" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Widerski, Betty" <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [en@sympa] Question re migrating to upgraded server - not upgrade in place
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 16:59:35 +0000

The process is outlined at:   https://www.sympa.community/manual/upgrade/move.html

Hope this helps,

Terry McLaren

From: address@concealed <address@concealed> On Behalf Of Widerski, Betty
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 9:41 AM
To: address@concealed

Hi –

We have Sympa 6.2.64 running on a RHEL 7 server, where I have been working on specific configs/customizations for some time. We have hired some Linux consultants to configure two new RHEL 8 servers (for Prod and Dev) with the latest Sympa version. Their plan seems to be to install Sympa 6.2.71b.1 on the new servers, then move my customizations over from the 6.2.64 server.

Everything I’ve seen about upgrading Sympa is for an upgrade in place – which directory paths will/will not be overwritten. I know what changes I’ve made in the default directory that would be overwritten, but to document all the files in /etc/sympa that I’ve created/changed is not easy. And could result in playing whack-a-mole trying to find ones that I’ve missed.

Has anyone done this: build a new server with new version then copy files from old server/version? Or would it be easier to have them copy/restore from snapshot the entire current Sympa version to the new server and then run the update on it in on the new server?

Thanks

Betty

Betty Widerski

Cloud & Server Engineering – HBS Information Technology

HARVARD  BUSINESS  SCHOOL

Shad 108 N | address@concealed | T: 617.495.6642