en - [sympa-users] Deprecation of one-time tickets for moderation messages

  • From: Mark Valiukas <address@concealed>
  • To: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Deprecation of one-time tickets for moderation messages
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 06:12:21 +0000

Hello Devs and Users,

I have a long-standing use case for one-time tickets for moderation messages on particular list robots  - I appreciate that in some environments they present a risk, as outlined in some previous threads in this list, but moderation messages to a shared mailbox or distribution group seems to be the cleanest way to have the same group of people moderating a large number of lists. Adding or removing moderators across hundreds of lists does not look like fun.

I have reviewed the changes at https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/pull/854/files, and seem to have successfully modified 6.2.68 to re-instate one-time tickets in moderation messages, but have a few questions:

1 – Modifications only appear to be needed in moderate.tt2 for the robot of interest, List.pm (putting back “use Sympa::Ticket;”), and Spindle/ToModeration.pm (putting back the “# create a one time ticket that will be used as un MD5 URL credential” block). Have I missed anything? I don’t currently need tickets anywhere else, other than the new account and password reset stuff that still uses them.

2 – Are there any plans to remove or significantly change Sympa::Ticket which might affect this?

3 – Given that at least one site still needs this, is there any possibility that required changes to List.pm and ToModeration.pm could go back in, with the current moderate.tt2 as the default to avoid exposure of tickets for sites where that is an issue? Or of build options to allow the one-time ticket functionality to be optionally included for sites it’s still important to? If we need to continue to modify the source, we can – but we’d prefer it if we didn’t have to.

Kind regards,

Mark.

  • [sympa-users] Deprecation of one-time tickets for moderation messages, Mark Valiukas, 03/31/2022