en - [sympa-users] Message-Id

  • From: Ruud Baart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Message-Id
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:11:00 +0100

Hi,

in the postfix/amavis/spamassasin log the spam score of an email from a sympa list is like this:

FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA=2.309, HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS=0.25, HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_02=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, MAILING_LIST_MULTI=-1, NO_RELAYS=-0.001, T_KAM_HTML_FONT_INVALID=0.01] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

The FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA score is quite high. It is not 100% clear for me why but I guess it has to do with the SMTP header Message-ID field combined with the User-Agent field. In this case it is something like this:

And the message was sent with Mozilla Thunderbird

The forced sender, as defined in this list, is, as can be seen in the Sender field:

	Sender: address@concealed

If I understand the spamassassin rule correctly the message-id field is not conform Mozilla and therefor suspected. I suppose the message-id is this way because in the list definition is defined to overwrite the from field and it has to be unique for every message.

I have read some information about this field. I assume the generated message-id is correct and unique. But perhaps the message id is not conform the recommendations as described in https://www.jwz.org/doc/mid.html.

I propose two solutions:

1) Is it not better to generate the message id in something like

<address@concealed>

where id is some unique ID as described in https://www.jwz.org/doc/mid.html. I quote: In summary, one possible approach to generating a Message-ID would be:

  • Append "<".
  • Get the current (wall-clock) time in the highest resolution to which you have access (most systems can give it to you in milliseconds, but seconds will do);
  • Generate 64 bits of randomness from a good, well-seeded random number generator;
  • Convert these two numbers to base 36 (0-9 and A-Z) and append the first number, a ".", the second number, and an "@". This makes the left hand side of the message ID be only about 21 characters long.
  • Append the FQDN of the local host, or the host name in the user's return address.
  • Append ">".

This approach would give a better message-id but perhaps still not conform the spamassassin rules because of the value of the User-Agent field.

2) An option to change the User-Agent field in a standard like User-Agent: Sympa/6.2.66 or just remove the User-Agent field.

What do you think?