en - Re: [sympa-users] Customize home.tt2

  • From: Antonio Casado <address@concealed>
  • To: Michael Young <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Customize home.tt2
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:02:21 +0100

Thank you Michael,

when you talk about extending the api you mean making a plugin?
https://sympa-community.github.io/manual/customize/template-plugins.html

Regards

El mar, 16 nov 2021 a las 13:53, Michael Young (<address@concealed>) escribió:

Antonio-

The Sympa application has a predefined set of “forms” that are available, as found in the web_tt2 directory.  Each of these forms, along with the wwsympa CGI (called by /sympa URLs by default)  that supports them is designed around supporting one list at a time.

We developed a “front end” similar to what you’re describing but ours is an extension of the CGI.

If you do not plan to use topics, and simply want to enumerate the lists that someone is a member of, display it on a page, and allow them to sub/unsub – then then API is the way to go with your choice of language (Perl, PHP, …).

If you do want to use topics (as we did), then modification of the wwsympa CGI is currently required with maintenance during each update to the Sympa base code to upgrade your modifications (a code merge). This also required getting to know template toolkit, and we prettied the output up with a lot of _javascript_ and Foundations/stylesheet use.

Had I known where our project would end up, I would have put the time into extending the API rather than modifying the CGI and using template toolkit as Perl/PHP on the back-end is way more efficient.

Michael Young

Software Engineer IV

Rochester Institute of Technology