en - [sympa-users] Tweaking Sympa init dependencies in Gentoo's OpenRC

  • From: Phil Stracchino <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Tweaking Sympa init dependencies in Gentoo's OpenRC
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:54:58 -0400

I've mentioned in the past that I resolved the fcgi need for Sympa on
Gentoo by using the spawn-fcgi service, configured as spawn-fcgi.sympa.

Capsule summary of that setup:

- emerge www-servers/spawn-fcgi
- ln -s /etc/init.d/spawn-fcgi /etc/init.d/spawn-fcgi.sympa
- cp /etc/conf.d/spawn-fcgi /etc/conf.d/spawn-fcgi.sympa
- edit /etc/conf.d/spawn-fcgi.sympa as follows (for a small
installation, for a high-traffic one you may need to modify this):

FCGI_SOCKET=/var/run/sympa/wwsympa.socket
FCGI_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1
FCGI_PORT=
FCGI_CHILDREN=1
FCGI_CHROOT=
FCGI_CHDIR=
FCGI_USER=sympa
FCGI_GROUP=sympa
FCGI_EXTRA_OPTIONS='-s /var/run/sympa/wwsympa.socket -M 0600 -U apache'

This will make sympa work with the spawn-fcgi service and its existing
working OpenRC init script, without havint to port the wwsympa init
script to OpenRC. However, it would be NICE if sympa and
spawn-fcgi.sympa were automatically restarted whenever you restart your
web server.

Here's how to accomplish that.

1. /etc/init.d/spawn-fcgi
Change from:

depend() {
need net
}

to:

depend() {
need net
need apache apache2 lighttpd
after apache apache2 lighttpd
}

2. /etc/init.d/sympa
Change from:

depend() {
use logger mysql postgres ldap
before apache apache2 lighttpd
}

to:

depend() {
use logger mysql postgres ldap
need spawn-fcgi.sympa
need apache apache2 lighttpd
after spawn-fcgi.sympa
after apache apache2 lighttpd
}

Now when you restart apache (after an apache update, for example), sympa
and spawn-fcgi.sympa will be automatically restarted in the correct
order as well.

--
Phil Stracchino
Babylon Communications

  • [sympa-users] Tweaking Sympa init dependencies in Gentoo's OpenRC, Phil Stracchino, 10/08/2021