en - AW: [sympa-users] Error messages are sent by Sympa to the From address instead of Return Path address

  • From: "Lorenz, Sabine (SCC)" <address@concealed>
  • To: Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: AW: [sympa-users] Error messages are sent by Sympa to the From address instead of Return Path address
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:31:18 +0000

Hi Soji,

The corresponding lines from the header of an affected email look like this (I changed the name of the list and the email-addresses a bit):

Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:49:08 +0100

        by lists3.scc.kit.edu with esmtp (Exim 4.89)

        (envelope-from <address@concealed>)

        id 1lOhPA-0006MF-OA; Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:49:08 +0100

To: Bachelor-Studierende <address@concealed>,

Master-Studierende <address@concealed>

From: Gerd Lang address@concealed

The e-mail was thus sent from the address <address@concealed>.

This email was too big for the list and therefore Sympa did not accept the email.

In the Sympa log (unfortunately I don't have this file now, since it's been more than 7 days), only the address address@concealed is used as the sender of the email, and Sympa sends the delivery error to that address as well.

This delivery error is then rejected by the mail server of the University of Halle with the error message "550 missing BATV signature".

In my view, the delivery error should actually be sent to the address <address@concealed>, so that the e-mail is also accepted by the mail server of the University of Halle.

Kind regards and thanks for any help,

Sabine