en - Re: [sympa-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: mail server

  • From: "Michael D. Sofka" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: mail server
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 08:51:51 -0500

On 2021-03-11 22:44, Phil Stracchino wrote:
On 3/11/21 9:18 AM, Luis Manzi wrote:
Hi Guys, I’m trying to configure postfix instead sendmail and in last
step I got this error

postalias: fatal: open database /etc/mail/sympa_aliases.db: Permission
denied

Have you tried making postfix a member of the sympa group?

On Sympa I'm using Sendmail, not Postfix. But in both cases the alias db file is created by the mail program (sendmail or postfix) running the newalaises program. What Sympa needs to do when creating a new list is: (1) Edit the aliases text file, and (2) invoke newalaises. This means that the aliases text file must be writable by the Sympa process, but the aliases db file *must* have ownership and permissions consistent with what the newaliases program requires. This means owned by the mail process, readable and writable by the mail process, and not writable by any other group or user.

On my Sympa system, which uses sendmail, this means the sympa/aliases file is owned by sympa:sympa, and is readable to all, but the sympa/aliasesd.db file is owned by mail process, and read/write only to the mail process. I suggest copying the ownership and permissions of /etc/mail/aliases.db, or /etc/postfix/aliases.db for postfix.

I believe it should be sufficient to create the aliases file with at least one alias, and run newaliases. If your postfix/sendmail is configured with the alias file newaliases will create the aliases.db with the correct permissions.

One final caveat, if the sympa aliases file is in a subdirectory of /etc/mail or /etc/postfix the sendmail/postfix process will be sensitive to the permissions on the directory. You can also restart the mail process and look for permission warnings mail.log.

Mike

--
Michael D. Sofka address@concealed
ITI Software Architect, Email, TeX, Epistemology