en - Re: [sympa-users] A probably stupid simple question about sympa.conf file

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] A probably stupid simple question about sympa.conf file
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 10:50:31 +0100

On 2/5/21 8:30 PM, Matthew Goebel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sympa 6.2.56 on redhat ES 7
>
> Is the domain setting supposed to be the email domain something.edu
> <http://something.edu/>
> or is it supposed to the machines fqdn server.something.edu
> <http://server.something.edu/> ?
> We have been using fqdn and I'm beginning to suspect it should just
> be the domain?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Hello Matt,

there is no need to use FQDN for the Sympa email domain.

The Sympa email domain should be dedicated and not shared with other
accounts, so you
often end up with something like sympa.something.edu or lists.something.edu.

Some generic advices on running a mail server:

- Mailserver needs an MX record
- Reverse DNS record (PTR) which is not a boilerplate one
- Domain name resolves to mail server's IP
- HELO needs sane hostname too
- SPF for all domains and subdomains
- DKIM for all domains and subdomains

Regards
Racke

> --
> Matthew Goebel : m <mailto:address@concealed>address@concealed
> <mailto:address@concealed> : Unix Jockey @ EMU : Hail
> Eris
> Neo-Student, Net Lurker, Donut consumer, and procrastinating medher...
>  "Always with the negative waves, Moriarty" - Oddball
>  "Comfort the troubled, and trouble the comfortable." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.