en - [sympa-users] running a scenario regex match on subject that spans multiple physical lines?

  • From: Erik Olson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] running a scenario regex match on subject that spans multiple physical lines?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:23:11 -0700

In the hobby mailing lists I admin, there are occasional messages posted that really need to be replied to off-list, and with the continuing trend of mailers to obscure what you're replying to, people just occasionally 'miss' and send an inappropriate reply to the list.

I added a line to our custom scenario file (thanks to this list for pointing me in that direction, btw) as such:

match([header->Subject][0],/.*Re:.*offlist.*/)    -> editorkey

with the idea that anyone including the word "offlist" in the subject would be fine, but if someone tries to reply to the post, it gets moderated.

This worked great until someone tried a longer-ish subject line, "Would you participate in a virtual gift exchange at the December meeting? (reply offlist please)"

The replies did not get moderated.  I think the culprit is that the subject is split into multiple lines - it looks that way in the source:

Subject: Re: [testing] [Airstone] Would you participate in a virtual gift
 exchange at the December meeting? (reply offlist please)

Is there a way to check against the entire concatenated header?

Thanks as always for the insight of this list,

  - Erik

--

Erik Olson address@concealed

  • [sympa-users] running a scenario regex match on subject that spans multiple physical lines?, Erik Olson, 10/22/2020