en - Re: [sympa-users] upgrade from version 6.1.17 to 6.2.42 with migration

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] upgrade from version 6.1.17 to 6.2.42 with migration
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 12:39:33 +0100

On 11/25/19 6:43 PM, Stephen Jarjoura wrote:
> Hello;
>
> We're planning on an upgrade and migration from Sympa 6.1.17 to 6.2.42. Our
> current plan is:
>
> 1. Build a new vm host with a fresh install of RHEL, postfix, MariaDB,
> Apache, and Sympa 6.2.42
> 2. Migrate mail aliases, the list_data directory, and Sympa database

Some more things you might want to migrate:

- Configuration files
- Archives
- Static content
- Scenari and Templates
- Spool directories

> 3. Start Sympa, and let it upgrade the DB
> 4. Switch over the DNS CNAME and MX records to the new host

Lower DNS TTL for these records a few days before you start the migration.

> Is this plan sound? Are there any "gotcha's!" that we should be aware of?

Test your new VM well (and prevent sending out emails to real users during
that).
Be aware that owners and editors will be no longer in the config files and
double check the permissions of the files and directories (as latest Sympa
versions
need to have write permissions for directories with aliases etc.).

Only my two cents :-).

Regards
Racke

> Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you can provide.

> Stephen A. Jarjoura
> Collaborative Services, ITS
> Boston College
> (e) address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed>

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.