en - [sympa-users] DMARC munging for subdomain reject policy

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] DMARC munging for subdomain reject policy
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 14:26:55 -0700

Hi,

I am seeing a problem with DMARC munging not working properly. I have a
list poster sending with a From domain of the form bar.foo.com. The
foo.com domain has the following dmarc record

_dmarc.foo.com descriptive text "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\; sp=reject\;
rua=mailto:address@concealed\; ruf=mailto:address@concealed\;
fo=1\; rf=afrf\; pct=100\; ri=86400"

Note the "sp=reject" which says also to reject for subdomains. From

https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/blob/sympa-6.2/src/lib/Sympa/Message.pm#L3197

it looks like sympa is doing the DMARC query against the RHS of the
address (bar.foo.com in this case) and that _dmarc TXT record doesn't
exist, so it doesn't do munging. I think adjusting the code to also
check the subdomain policy of the parent domain will be a little tricky.
Maybe just recurse up the domain and if any of those have sp=reject then
munge?

Is there a config parameter that allows listing domains that are known
to need munging? That would be a fast workaround for now.

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed

  • [sympa-users] DMARC munging for subdomain reject policy, Matt Taggart, 06/07/2019