en - Re: [sympa-users] sql data source updating membership

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Youcef N Baouchi <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sql data source updating membership
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 15:05:38 +1300

If you set the data source parameter distribution_ttl to be something relatively small -- for example, 3600 (1 hour) -- then the data source (in this case, the SQL) will be queried if there is a message to distribute AND the cached data are older than this.

Then, set the ttl to be something very big -- for example, 2592000 (1 month).  The SQL will be automatically queried if the cached data are older than this.

So, it's still querying on a timer, but it is a *very long* timer.  If you expect to get at least one mail to the list per month, then you'll never see the time query trigger as the data will never get this old.  I've seen lists with an expensive-to-query external data source use this method (low distribution_ttl but high ttl) in the past to avoid unnecessary lookups.

Steve