en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa died, pid file remains - help

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa died, pid file remains - help
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:03:19 -0500

On 11/9/18 5:50 AM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:

On 10/30/18 5:59 PM, Matt Taggart wrote:
On 10/29/2018 11:39 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Any suggestions as to:

- things that might cause sympa.pl to die abnormally?

- any diagnostic tricks (higher log levels, where to set them, etc?)
We have seen UTF8 bugs that cause this. We end up doing a binary search
of the messages in the spool until we figure out which one is crashing
it. We haven't seen it much lately, I suspect that we moved to newer
perl libraries and some bug was fixed.

In my opinion Sympa should handle this situation gracefully, as a single
message can bring the Sympa system to a
grinding halt without even a notification to the listmaster.

Regards
Racke

I don't think you're going to see any objections to that notion! :-)

I expect that it's easier said than done, particularly when things crash in external libraries.

Though... it might be simple enough to checkpoint when starting to process a message, and then setting a watchdog to look for crashes, and then do some exception handling (log, set the message aside, notify the listmaster, restart).

Anybody on the coding team care to comment?

Regards,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra