en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa died, pid file remains - help

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa died, pid file remains - help
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 08:53:32 +0100

On 10/29/18 7:39 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm having a problem - hopefully somebody might have some ideas.
>
> Sympa 6.1.20, with postfix, amavisd, clamav.
>
> On rare occasion, sympa.pl will die, and do so repeatedly after attempting
> to restart all the sympa processes.
>
> In the past, the cure has been simple - stop all the processes, empty the
> queues (almost there's some message that is
> making something barf), kill any wwsympa tasks running, restart apache,
> restart sympa.
>
> This time, it's not working - ques are flushed, stop everything, a sympa.pl
> process is still running (even though sympa
> status says it died), kill the process, then restart.  Sympa.pl immediately
> dies again (status shows "sympa died, pid
> file remains.".  Nothing in the log that shows anything wrong.
>
> Any suggestions as to:
>
> - things that might cause sympa.pl to die abnormally?
>
> - any diagnostic tricks (higher log levels, where to set them, etc?)
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Miles Fidelman

Hello Miles,

is there any clue in the logs why Sympa dies? It would also worth to examine
the messages that let barf Sympa.

If if says PID file remains, it is stale and you may need to remove it.

Also what is your system setup? Linux distribution? Installed from source or
package?

Regards
Racke

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.