en - Re: [sympa-users] Restricting access to the Sympa website, based on users who are subscribed to a private Sympa mailing list.

  • From: Mark London <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Restricting access to the Sympa website, based on users who are subscribed to a private Sympa mailing list.
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 01:19:15 -0400

Steve - Thanks for the info. I am trying to avoid using LDAP, because Sympa itself is already based on a database, and I would like to have a self contained site. Plus, I've spent decades hating LDAP. :)

Regarding the 2nd option that you used, i.e. "Let everyone access the Sympa website, but the visibility scenario all say they must be on the list. Therefore they see nothing until they have logged in with a valid identity", and "this allowed us to have a small number of public lists but most require login to access or see."

If understand this correctly, it appears that most of your mailing lists were set to be invisible, unless the person was subscribed to that list. Wouldn't that require me having to manually subscribe people to those lists? I'm trying to avoid doing this. I want to restrict access to my site, but I want people with login access, to be able to easily subscribe or unsubscribe themselves to my mailing list, without my intervention.

So it looks like what I want to do, isn't something that wasn't already there. I wasn't sure about that, so thanks for confirming that for me.

I spent the day looking at the Sympa code, and it appears I can add a short routine that checks subscription to my main "private" list, and then to use that routine, to be my login authentication method. So I think I'll use that method. - Mark