en - [sympa-users] need to replace list_check_smtp

  • From: Chris Peck <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] need to replace list_check_smtp
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 11:23:23 +0000

We switcedh over to using Exchange Online Protection (EOP - Exchange in the cloud), which means that we will no longer be running our own SMTP servers.  In this new mail environment we discovered that using RCPT TO with EOP, that it always accepts email whether it's a valid address or not.  I'm not sure if this is configurable or not, it doesn't matter, as the new mail-admins won't change it even if it is.

Currently new aliases are added to our IDM's Oracle database, I have a script to check that and added it to the alias_manager script to check for collisions. While new users are added to LDAP, new aliases are not.  We do NOT want any lists created that match a valid email address here @wm.edu even though all lists are @lists.wm.edu (policy thingy).

I have a few options:
-setup a postfix server to check ldap and react accordingly, have aliases continue to be added to LDAP (which they should be anyways, this will become a daily run).
-write a slim SMTP service to just do what is needed to handle this
-not check anymore, let the alias_manager fail and return an error, then cleanup lists that were created, but, failed on the alias create (ouch).
-modify the list_check_smtp routine to call an external script to do the check.

I'm leaning towards modifying list_check_smtp, but, don't relish modifying the code base.

I have until the end of June to implement this new check (that's when our 'old' SMTP servers will go offline).

Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks,
Chris

  • [sympa-users] need to replace list_check_smtp, Chris Peck, 05/31/2017