en - [sympa-users] what is the minimal perl version expected to run sympa?

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] what is the minimal perl version expected to run sympa?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:56:17 +0000

dear sympa users,

If you are a site administrator, we need your help to make our mind up about
the
older version of perl we have to support.

In 2015, based on the very last sympa survey run by RENATER, the perl
versions used
to run your sympa sites were:

% perl version release year
--- ------------ ---
16% 5.08 2002
35% 5.10 2007
1% 5.12 2010
22% 5.14 2011
6% 5.16 2012
6% 5.18 2013
10% 5.20 2014
4% 5.22 2015

two years after this survey

* 5.26 is close to be the current perl version
* 5.20 is the perl version of debian lts (jessie)
* 5.22 is the perl version of ubuntu lts (xenial)
* 5.24 is the perl version available in freeBSD ports
* the ongoing work on fedora from the perl community let us hope that the
situation would be less terrible in the RH world.

Using a recent version of perl means writing code that is easier to maintain
and contribute to and a software that is much faster and secure with a better
support of Unicode, we really want to kiss perl 5.08 goodbye.

As we expect a lot of changes in the code base around the hackathon,
what is the minimal perl version expected to run sympa? I really think the
improvements made in 5.20 is worth the switch but i remember David Verdin was
much more skeptical about such a gap. He was betting on 5.14 AFAIK.

Nowadays, we just can't afford to ask such an effort from volonteers so we
need
the community to help. I would like to know your feeling about it.

If you want to help, please answer please anwser this poll before the
2017-03-03.

https://framadate.org/lP9alODVsdywvmnu

regards
marc

  • [sympa-users] what is the minimal perl version expected to run sympa?, khatar, 02/24/2017