en - [sympa-users] Help customizing Sympa 6.2

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Help customizing Sympa 6.2
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 09:56:07 -0700

Greetings all. We're (finally) working on upgrading from 6.1 to 6.2, and it is a massive and daunting task because of all the mods we've made, but I can't even get past step 0 and I'm hoping for a pointer.

I'm trying to edit some strings in the localization file, and the method I used for 6.1 still seems to be correct, the locale files get updated, but the changes never appear in the Sympa interface (web or mail). My method is:

1. edit the .po source file, in this case en.po in the po/sympa dir
2. in the same dir, run "make en.gmo", then "make install"
3. restart wwsympa or sympa, whichever is relevant

But no luck. I see the .mo files getting updated in ~sympa/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES, and I see my new strings appear in them (using "strings sympa.mo", but still no effect in Sympa.

I'm a little confused by the relationship of en and en_US, but I've tried lots of things there with no luck: "lang en" or "lang en_US" in sympa.conf, different choices in my user preferences in WWSympa, etc. And anyway I have the same problem using a different language, like fr.

What am I missing? What's changed?

Thanks!

adam

--
Electric Embers Cooperative
Handcrafted hosting, powering the fires of change